Wednesday, March 27, 2013

That 70s Nostalgia...

While I redesigned some aspects of my blog I realised how much the result reminded me of the 1970s. That is no coincidence, I love designs of the 60s and the 70s and am a highly nostalgic person. (Our roaring Twenties-Party a few months ago was a huge succeess, I will post some pics of the resulting photo-wall later) My love for the 70s was reinforced while working in a 70s clothing and design-shop as a student.

It used to be in Bochum, but apparently has just moved to Wuppertal, with more space and an additional lounge-bar. If you are interested in furniture and clothes from the era of the Bee Gees and ABBA go there. The owner is a crazy guy, always friendly and funny, a bit nerdy maybe. I can't wait to see their new shop:


It used to be great fun, help peole sorting out outfits for their parties, wallpapers for their living rooms and also meet people with the same taste in music and clothes as me.

For the same reason I enjoy watching Mad Men, the hairstyles, clothes, cars, furniture from the 60s are all so special and classy. People made an effort in looking nice. I can't help myself but I don't see it nowadays. It is great that everyone can dress as they like (at least when they are over 16 years old), but I still long for the more distinguished look of the 60s. There is no point in arguing that living in the 60s would be my dream, as I know I couldn't have lived the life I am living then. Women were even more supressed than they are now, so I probably would have hated it. But if we all dressed a bit nicer and a bit more like then, wouldn't that be nice? (Excuse my daydreaming....)

Banana Republic have made one step into this direction, with their Mad Men collection:


No comments: