Friday, March 8, 2013

Schön, Frau Schön...

...Oh, it has been a while...

As many of my friends are writing blogs and much more of my friends are not able to speak any German, I will continue the blog in English. 
A long time has passed and I will try to write more regularly now (Probably the resolution of most bloggers) The inspiration for a blog of my own actually came from the big German handcrafts-blogger community. Sewing, knitting, crocheting, fantastic diy-products all over the web! They have given me so much inspiration and even when the first own projects were rather hard work sometimes, the motivation you can get out of a movement like the diy-blogger one is amazing. Three of my favourites are: 


A very colourful blog full of ideas, mainly accessories and decoration. I love her tutorials and also the design of her blog, I really need to work on mine, once the weather is bad again. (It's actually sunny outside, I can hardly believe it.)

http://cat-und-kascha-rote-tupfen.blogspot.de/

This woman is really incredible, not only does she manage her family, her job and her blog, but she also frequently sews the most amazing vintage dresses. I hope that someday I will be able to make myself similiar clothes. Apart from her talent considering her wardrobe, she is also commenting about political issues, holding up the feminist's flag. I wouldn't call myself a feminist, but when it comes down to equal rights for everyone I am all for it.

http://frauburow.blogspot.de/

Again a mother, writing a blog, sowing. I love her way of writing, you have the feeling of communicating with a friend. Her kids are so lucky to have such a cool mum, creating nice things for them.

Although I do not have kids and am not planning to have any, it is a lot of fun to make clothes for them. For once, because they look so cute, second, you can take the most shocking colours, kids will love that, (although I admit that so far I have used colours I would wear myself for the kid's stuff.), plus you are finished just so much earlier. Luckily, there are already some people I know that have kids and are always grateful for something handmade, may it be as crooked as it is.

My next knitting project will be a hat for Mr. Schön. Difiicult thing as he is the most critical man I know. Whatever I make, I love in the end, I even love every little mistake in it (or that's what I'm telling myself), but my better half spots these little defects immediately and is always kind enough to point them out to me. So keep your fingers crossed he will like the hat.

Apart from my (hoped for) progress in handcrafts, I will also write about things that come to my mind. At the moment, due to the "fasting-project" of a good friend of mine, involving not to buy any plastic till Easter, I think a lot about how the little things we do every day can already help our environment. If just everyone always had a cotton bag with them, no plastic bags would be produced anymore. We actually already have enough of them on Earth, we could just let them circulate between us. To get more information on the issue, read Eva's blog, it is really inspiring.

http://ingloriousplastics.wordpress.com

Apart from making my own clothes, decoration, etc. I also appreciate good food. We get a box of organic fruits and vegetables delivered every week, which always gives us a lot of ideas about what to cook. Plus we live much healthier with all the veggies and we would never buy a frozen pizza or lasagne, not because we would never eat fast food or ready made food, but simply because with this box we have so much stuff we have to cook, we cannot afford to not cook in a way :). As a student and before that I used to not care much about what I ate or even if I ate. (which meant, I used to be a much skinnier than I am now and sometimes I miss my skinny state, but then again, giving up food is not an option), but within the last years, through friends I started caring, enjoying cooking, high quality ingredients, trying new recipes, it has changed a lot in my life, acutally it is a whole new way of life. Probably enjoying is the main aspect of being. That can mean good food, it can also mean making someone happy and enjoying it. From time to time, if I find a very good recipe or we have another food night at our home, I will let you know, sharing experiences with dishes and ingredients is always a good idea.
At the moment we are in the frantic bread-making phase. We bake a bread almost every day and it is so much fun, so good and also quite cheap.

Loving creating things, I use our huge balcony to grow plants. Pretty flowers live peacefully next to vegetables and fruits and as the season has just started and the first sunny days have pimped peaches and strawberries I will let you take part in the planting, caring and harvesting process. The satisfaction I gain from planting sometimes makes me wonder, whether I would be happiest on a farm, growing crops, having chicken and milk-cows... But then again, no. Cinemas, Ice Cream Parlours, Restaurants, shopping almost around the clock... I don't want to miss that, am too much of a city-girl.

Let the plants grow and let the sun shine till November. And may my blog grow just like my tomatoes!

(Wow, that sounds so solemnly, may the force be with you!)

Take care and try not to buy plastic!

Selina








No comments: