Sunday, March 10, 2013

Post modern inglorious basterds

Have you ever heard of Louis Theroux?
Yesterday, while I had to kill some time, I searched the web for documentaries and I found one that really impressed me deeply. (I have mentioned how much I love movies, but I mostly watch nice, funny, or also scary movies, but usually I prefer the fun ones. But do you know what I mean when I say the deepest impressions leave the really not-fun movies?) Theroux's "The Nazis" is one example of that kind of deep impact. (Other movies that kind of freaked me out are e.g. "The Cube", "A clockwork Orange" or "Ajami", I recommend you to watch them.) It shows how Theroux meets some members of a Neonazi community of California. Watch it and then read on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqK2ILCq-do


As a German I might be supersensitive to the topic, but some scenes are so shocking to me, they give me goosebumps. Most of the guys are a bit stupid and hypoctritic, you could say and you can tell they know about it, the way they react when Theroux asks them about their Mexican friends or their Peruan clients, they get along so well. But a blonde woman, you see her right in the beginning of the movie, really scared the hell out of me. Her little daughters, not standing a chance of getting to know about the world, as they are hometaught and apparently have very little contact with the outside world, depress me. To me the woman's actions is close to child abuse and I am glad that in Germany she would not allowed to keep her children. One the one hand it is great that there is so much freedom in the US, on the other hand I almost get sick when I see a bunch of people Sieg-Heiling, adoring Hitler and supporting the Ku Klux Klan. When you grow up in Germany this seems so unreal and disgusting. Do you think they would feel any different if they had visited Auschwitz? I don't know. And there is no way denying that there are no Nazis in Germany anymore, not at all and I guess they are as scary and as deeply racist as the people in the BBC docu. But I guess most of them wouldn't speak to a camera that open and proud about it. At least most of them would be too ashamed and too scared to do so.

I will definitely check out more of Theroux's documentaries, his courage and the way he insists on the most akward topics, deeply impressed me.

Do you have any tips, any other impressing documentaries? For me, I have to say it, the BBC is and always will be the masters of documentaries. It is one of my dearest dreams to one day work for them. And although my career so far has turned into another direction, I will not give up my hope.

Selina





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got totally hooked on Theroux's documentaries now, thanks :-) There are a few documentaries I found really inspiring, for example Plastic Planet, Taste the Waste, Waste Land and Food Inc. And I also love Banksy's Exit through the Gift Shop.