Friday, August 25, 2017

Babyblanket Chalice

Babyblanket Chalice




Babies, babies, babies... All around us people are pregnant. Reason enough for me to knit presents for all of them. There is not many cuter things than babyknits. Also, homemade gifts are always the best and as all of those babes need to be clothed, knitting babystuff are the small and quick knits I cram in between my bigger projects.

The blanket before blocking
Babyblankets are very welcome gifts for new parents. One of the charms of them is, that they don't only fit a short amount of time. As the babygirl in question will be born around the end of November I decided to use very bulky yarn. It is called Rico Baby and much thicker than the yarn recommended for baby blanket Chalice, the pattern I chose.

It is an ajour pattern which reminds a bit of leafs. After a while you get the knack of it, I couldn't knit the pattern by heart however, my little notes were always at my side. As the yarn is so much thicker, the beauty of the pattern was not very obvious during the process. I was worried that the yarn was too bulky for the pattern. But after washing and blocking I am happy with the result and surprised with how soft the blanket is.

Chalice was my main project during our almot three weeks of holiday, so I got most of it done during, although I didn't manage to find nearly enough time for knitting in my opinion, but that is another story. After a while I understood most of the pattern, but I never knew it by heart, so I always had the little drawing I had made right by my side. It's no pattern you can knit while watching a new episode of Game of Thrones (at least not for me), so you always need a little bit of concentration, but at least after a while I could feel when something was off and I had made a mistake in the pattern.

Now, the blanket is sitting on the antique leather chair in our living room, waiting for the baby to arrive in November.


The blanket taking a bath

After the bath I gently rolled it into a towel
I used our old carpet to stretch and block the blanket, waiting for it to dry. 




I blocked it with needles
Ready for take-off

No comments: