Monday, February 29, 2016

Sugar fasting week 4

Hey folks!

How have you been? Lisek and me we are pretty awesome. Lying on the couch (or - in his case- next to it) after a long morning walk in the sun. There is definitely spring in the air outside and I love it!

Wow, I just had to look it up, because I kind of lose track here, it has been four weeks without candy in my life and I am so proud and happy at the moment. I feel really liberated and not because I fight temptations, but also because I have the feeling, candy and sugary food have become a bit meaningsless in my life. I can be just relaxed about them.

Last weekend we were invited for a "perfect dinner" at friends of ours. We have done this last year as well, every couple of the four invites the others over once a year for a three course menu and gets points for the food, decorations, you name it. Not being a very competitive person I do not particularly enjoy the format of the meetings, but it is always fun to see everyone. They served flan and churros for dessert and I did not want to be the person who would not eat it, just because it contains sugar. So I made an exception on Satuday. It was ok, I just noticed how sweet everything tastes when you are less used to it. Other than that I did not have any problems. Sunday, I just went back to my normal eating routine and that was it . In a facebook group I joined about sugar fasting, people freak out when they "lost control". When I think about it, I can understand it to a certain extent. But by making it a big deal, you let sugar play an even bigger role in your life than it had before. The difference is choice of course. If I deliberatley choose to have some cake or a dessert at a restaurant, then I enjoy it and know that overall I live a healthy lifestyle. Sounds like a healthy approach to eating to me.

PhD reading goes on at the moment. Next week I am goint to have the first eeting with fellow students, where everyone is supposed to present their ideas. I will not lie, I am a bit nervous about it, bur I will manage and probably take a lot out of the opportunity.

This new mindset it quite extraordinary for me. In my twenties I used to have much less self asteem. I would be horrified by the event next week and be totally sure not to be prepared well enough and so on. You probably are familiar with that feeling. Maybe it is my age and my experience that tell me, most of the time, situations you fear are much less horrible than you imagine them to be. All the fretting and the nervousness in advance actually is often worse than the situation itself.


No comments: